Monday, July 4, 2011

Fourth of July Weekend!

Hey Y'all,
I noticed I hadn't posted in a while, so here is a blog update.

To start off, Happy Fourth of July to everybody! This weekend was pretty great. On Saturday, a chunk of Indy Corps went to Memphis, Tennessee to spend the day. Memphis is an awesome city! Well, at least certain parts of it. The city is adequately ravaged by poverty, but there is a great tourist sector. We visited the National Civil Rights Museum there as well. The unique thing about this museum is that it's built on the property of the old Lorraine Motel. What's so unique about this property? It's where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. Yes. I was right next to the marker that signified the location of assassination. See that white wreath in the picture to the right? Yeah, that's where he was shot. It was an incredibly powerful moment to be there. It was a little overwhelming to be frank. Anyhow, the museum itself was nothing too spectacular. I mean, I really appreciated the history it endowed patrons with, but it wasn't anything you couldn't find with a little research online. It was mostly text based and you navigated the rooms with your eyes affixed to posters and images. I would've preferred it to be more interactive.

After the museum, we went to the B.B. King Blues Club restaurant. That place was great! They had live music going and the food wasn't too shabby either. A cool thing about Memphis (or at least Beale Street) is that you can drink on the street. Beer vendors dispense liquid heaven at the reasonable cost of $3 a cup. It's pretty awesome. A lot of my friends likened it to Bourbon Street in NOLA. I must head down to New Orleans...

Anyways, yesterday was great too. TFA put on a massive BBQ for us Corps Members in the Statesmen Park. It was a lot of fun. And then, they blasted our retinas with a spectacular fireworks showcase.

My Fourth of July was pretty modest. Worked on some lesson plans, had some lunch and dinner, hung out with some friends (Peaseeeeeeeee), and filled out my kids' progress reports. Those are due tomorrow. I start teaching math tomorrow too. For the past 2 weeks, I was a co-instructor for literacy. I'm so relieved to move on to math.

Only 9 more days in Mississippi! I can't wait to move back to Indianapolis! I'm in the process of leasing a car and moving into my new home. I'll share more info as it becomes available.

'Til the next post, goodbye!

With Unwavering Love,
Derik Ohanian

No comments:

Post a Comment